Guest: Mel Norton, Esq.
Do you know the most common legal mistake most entrepreneurs make when starting their first business? Well, I didn’t either.
And full disclosure, I have needed to reverse engineer some of those early legal oversights and thank goodness they didnt lead to an unfortunate and avoidable situation in my business. I mean, sometimes when we are so busy making money and taking names as entrepreneurs, we forget about minding the fine print. Literally.
Today I am chatting with my friend, entrepreneur, podcaster and razor sharp lawyer Mel Norton about the things that you should be aware of in your business, from a legal point of view. I am so lucky to have Mel to help me foresee weak spots and potential liabilities in my business. I mean, I truly don’t know where I would be without him. And today, Mel is sharing the things that you need to be doing in your business, starting today – even if you can’t afford to hire a lawyer – to make sure that you are protected.
Mel is a wealth of knowledge, he has so many valuable and tactile tips that you can be implementing in your business. So if you haven’t thought about the legal implications in your business, or if you think your business could be legally vulnerable in some way, or you just plain arent sure, well settle in my friend, this workshop weekly episode is especially for you!
In this episode we discuss:
- Potential oversights and preventative steps you can take to protect yourself and your business from a legal standpoint.
- The three most important things an early-stage entrepreneur should be doing.
- The right business structure for you (sole proprietor, partnership, incorporation, not for profit) and the foresight that might save you down the road.
- The types of contracts and contract clauses you will want to consider in your business.
- Types of written agreements and tools you can use.
- Why you should create a practice of saving all emails in your business.
- Mel’s thoughts on the rise of boilerplate contracts and what to watch out for.
- The three most common legal “mistakes” entrepreneurs make.
- The most important legal agreements you will likely need to review to mitigate risk in your business.
- The one thing you should do to protect yourself and your business today.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Get in touch with Mel:
Call Today for a Consultation (506) 633-3737
Grab Your $100 eCourse Business Bundle Before it’s too Late!
Grow Your Business SUPERFAST!
With The Bundle Co.
Enrolment Open June 1 – 9th ONLY!
INTRODUCING THE BUSINESS BUNDLE
Listen, I get it. Deep down you know you deserve more, but you don’t quite know how to get there.
You see a lot of programs and e-courses that could be of benefit to you, but you don’t know which one will take you where you want to be. ‘It might be a mix of a few of them’ — you think; but we both know that can cost a pretty penny. Well, workshop warrior, all of this ends now!
My friends at The Bundle Co. have put together a magical bundle of business related e-courses and membership programs covering every business related topic you can imagine at an unbelievable price, so you can improve your business, life and finances in every way, without having to remortgage your house.
Inside you will find over 70 courses and programs from amazing instructors from all over the world who will be teaching you everything you need to skyrocket your success. Course topics range from business financing to marketing, social media, photography, copywriting, scaling, mindset, content creation, productivity hacks and so much more. Oh, and by the way, my signature beginner photography course? It’s in there too.
And here’s the best part, for a limited time you can get all of this for just $100. That’s right, just $100, that’s 99% savings. Insane right? But you gotta act fast. The bundle is only available starting June 1st for just 10 days.
To get your business bundle for just $100, head to kellylawson.ca/businessbundle TODAY!
(Offer available June 1 – 9, 2020 only!!)